T.M.I.

, , 4 Comments »



WARNING: This post may fall under the category of "Too Much Information"...discussion of female problems to follow...consider yourself warned! ;-)



I've seen on many websites that many ladies are starting to sew their own reusable sanitary napkins. My first thought upon hearing about this years ago was "yuck". After all, I haven't been a pad kind of woman since I first discovered the convenience of tampons. However, things change. You know I've shown interest in trying to get rid of disposable products from my family's lives in order to not only save money, but be more healthy (I hate the chemicals in disposable diapers). But this is one area I just hadn't investigated yet. I'm thinking about it now because my needs have changed. Here's where a little TMI comes in...

Am I the only one who has an increased "flow" problem after four kids? I'm not sure if it's the number of pregnancies I've had, or the fact that they're so close together, or my age (mid-thirties), or the fact that they were c-sections, or the fact that I am obese. But after this last pregnancy, there's been a lot more flow, and your typical store-bought products aren't doing the job. Part of this I suspect is due to my larger size...most feminine hygiene products just aren't made for larger women. I don't want to have to buy every product on the market each month trying to find something that works.

I was really mad when I bought a box of panty liners this month that turned out to be so small I thought they were for twelve year olds at most! Although I miss the comfort of the products I used to use, I am now thinking of trying to find out where I can buy the giant sanitary pads they give you at the hospitals right after giving birth. It's better than shopping at Walmart, petrified there will be leakage, just like I did when I was in high school!

Okay, end of the TMI. ;-) So now I'm thinking of making my own sanitary napkins. I've seen a variety of styles. The type pictured above was the first style I've seen that is along the lines of what I had in mind. I found them at Homemade Mama's. They are outrageously expensive, although due to the materials and workmanship, and the "reusability factor", I can understand why. But I like the design, and I'm thinking of making some of my own.

So if anyone out there has experience in making their own products, post a comment and let me know how well you thought it worked. I'm particularly interested in the various ways the homesewn pads can be made to stay in place, and what materials can be used to prevent leakage.

And now, back to our regularly scheduled (normal) posts!

4 Responses to "T.M.I."

Shereen Says :
7:09 PM

Hi there. It's been a while since I commented on your blog, but I just wanted to let you know I have looked into it as well. I have two daughters who are 10 and 8, and even though they don't need it now, I have been looking into more natural ways for them. It's funny how when it's for yourself you don't think too much about it, but when it comes to your children, you only want the best. The links below are the ones I found. I know one of them is pretty expensive as well, but it's a package that includes different colors and specific ones for during the night. As far as the links that have free patterns, I guess you can just enlarge it to the size you want. Thanks for posting this. I was going to, but then I chickened out. lol ;0) I guess you will have to do a copy and paste with the links. Keep me updated, if you don't mind. I have heard that your flow will be A LOT less when you use regular cotton, being that there are no chemicals etc.

http://www.labyrinth.net.au/~obsidian/mi-clothpadpat.html

http://www.gladrags.com/organic-color-cotton-gladrags-deluxe-p-43.html

http://pacificcoast.net/~manymoons/howto.html

Mommaroo2 Says :
12:18 AM

I've been reading that too, Shereen, about having less bleeding. Supposedly the chemicals in the store bought pads actually draw the blood out of you, and you bleed more. Weird, huh? I wonder if it was planned that way, or a side effect. I wouldn't be surprised either way. Goodness only knows what all the chemicals we injest do to our bodies!

My name is Michelle. Says :
12:14 PM

I've used gladrags for years. Maybe 9 or so? The same ones. As good as new. They're a good investment imho. I don't use them exclusively, because I don't like the feel of pads all the time. They get irritating. But I absolutely love having them. I *never* have to worry about running out of disposable products. To make them "leakproof" I use a small (cheap) disposable panty liner underneath. MUCH cheaper than using a full sized disposable pad.

And not that you asked, but I **love** this tea (notice the two ** on either side of the word love, that means I'm serious : ) I've got all of my friends drinking it monthly.

http://www.traditionalmedicinals.com/?id=30&pid=12

Anonymous Says :
10:09 PM

Hi, I just found your blog wihle looking for ideas to become a better homemaker and am skipping around looking at your old entries. Anyway, I've made a few pads of my own from old cotton tshirts and flannel. I bought a Diva Cup a few months ago, and I love it. It really is great on those heavy days. There's no need to worry about leakage.

Post a Comment