Read a Book Today!

3 Comments »
Lately I've felt like I've been under a lot of pressure. My lack of homemaking talents and inability to keep up with the house has really started to get to me. I think a large part of the problem is that I feel that I have no social outlet. I have no family or friends nearby, and haven't been able to make any new friends. I also don't have any hobbies like I used to. When I was single, I really enjoyed dancing, singing, reading, and going to social activities with other Catholic singles. Now that I'm married, I don't do any of those things.

It's not that my husband doesn't want me to or won't let me. They've just all fallen by the wayside, especially since I became a traditional Catholic. I used to go to country bars and dance. I loved to dance. Now I just don't feel that it is appropriate...not to mention I would feel like a total cow trying to dance, at my weight. I used to sing in the church choir, but with four little ones under the age of five, that is NOT possible! I would love to find other couples to be social with, but my husband isn't very outgoing with people he doesn't know, and even if we knew of a babysitter we could trust (which we don't), we couldn't afford it. Kind of hard to make friends when people realize that inviting you over means inviting ALL your kids, lol.

So I've decided I need to somehow "find myself" again. No, not in a feminist way (ugh!), I just need to rediscover some of the things I used to like doing. So this past week I started by buying a novel to read. I used to love reading novels about true crime, especially if they had to do with forensics (this was way before the CSI craze). When I became traditional Catholic, I stopped reading these because it just didn't seem right...a lot of these novels had things in them that weren't that appropriate, or were graphic (in regards to violence) beyond what was necessary to tell the story. Before I got married, I just substituted many books on the lives of the saints, older Catholic novels, and sometimes other spiritual works, like "Humility of the Heart". But books like those, for me, take a lot of concentration...something a mom of four little ones doesn't have! Some saint books I've read are good enough to really capture my attention, but the rest take a lot of peace and quiet to read. (Insert laughter from all real moms here.)

So reading has completely fallen by the wayside. Instead, when I need a break, I use the computer. The problem is, I tend to lose track of time, and spend too long on it. Not a good thing when you already don't keep up with your household duties! So I bought a book that is fiction, but doesn't have bad language or get overly gruesome. It's an easy read. In fact, I can actually read it while spending time with my kids, which is a lot better than leaving them to play while I get on the computer in another room. It has really helped me cut down on computer time. My husband and I used to read in bed together, so I'm hoping we'll start that again (if the poor man can keep his eyes open--he's been so tired lately).

Granted, I'd feel a lot better about it if I were reading something more spiritually beneficial, but I'm hoping this gets me into a reading habit again so that I can concentrate better on something religious. I've been wanting to read the Acts of the Apostles, and a bunch of books on the saints that I have by my bedside. The only bad thing is trying to read while I feed the baby--she loves to try to tear up and eat paper!

3 Responses to "Read a Book Today!"

Chrissy Says :
7:13 PM

Have you tried the Mitford series by Jan Karon? They are fictional but are wholesome with sound theology thrown in for good measure. They remind me of the old Andy Griffith show - in fact, the setting is North Carolina. If you haven't heard of them, check them out at Amazon.com. Happy Reading!

Anonymous Says :
12:13 PM

have you tried Audible.com? You can download audio books to your MP3 player. I like to "read" while I'm sorting laundry and washing dishes. They have a huge selection and are pretty reasonable. I sign up for the $20/month pkg (you don't have to sign up for anything) and I get 2 books a month.

I think I'm going to pick a frivoulous just for enjoyment book next.

Mommaroo2 Says :
1:10 PM

I've never seen the Mitford series or audible.com. I love listening to audio books, especially in the car. Used to get them from the library but...um...I kind of owe them some money, lol. Don't know if I could afford the $20 a month--I could easily spend that on books (not that we can afford that either) but by buying books I'm not committed to spending a certain amount. Sounds like something I'd like, I just wonder if a book will fit on my ipod--it's a nano. I don't think I'd have room left over for music, and I'm guessing they don't let you download only part of the books at a time. It sounds like a great idea, though!

Post a Comment